This time I will talk about a dish which is very famous with people from Orissa called Ghanta. The meaning of this name in Oriya is ‘Mixed’. This is a very famous “mixed vegetable” dish from this state in the lines of Aviyal of Kerala/Tamil Nadu or Undhyoo of Gujarat. Like any other mixed veg recipes this also has a very typical taste and is normally consumed with plain rice and lentils. Let’s hit the recipe book for this.
- 2 Medium size potatoes pealed and cut into large cubes (Aloo)
- 50 gm Yellow pumpkin cut into large cubes
- 50 gm arum / Arbi (Oriya: Saroo) pealed and cut into 4s
- 50 gm any form of Yam (The form of Yam which is locally used in Orissa is called ‘desi aloo’ but you can use any form available near you. Cut into large cubes.
- 50 gm Parwal (Oriya: Potala) URL: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parwal. Cut into 3 pieces.
- 2 Tomatoes chopped
- 5-6 Indian Beans / Lima Beans. (Oriya: Simba)Cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
- 7 French Beans
- 4 Long Beans (Oriya: Jhudunga)
- 1 Brinjal / Egg Plant (Oriya: Baigana) cut into large cubes.
- 1 cup mix of pulse seeds soaked overnight in water (Chick peas, dried peas and Indian beans seeds)
- ½ tablespoon turmeric powder
- 1 medium sized ginger
- 5 Cloves of garlic
- 1 Medium sized onion chopped
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 tsp Cumin seed
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seed
- 4 Dried red chillies
- ½ Cup freshly coconut cut into small cubes
- 1 tsp Refined cooking oil
- Salt to taste
- Cut the vegetables after thoroughly washing them.
- Make a paste of onion, ginger, and garlic and keep it aside.
- Roast cumin seeds and red chilies in a pan and grind it to make a rough powder and keep it aside.
- Boil all the cut vegetables, soaked pulse seeds, coconut pieces till the vegetables are soft. Alternately pressure-cook it for 2 whistles.
- Add salt, turmeric powder, bay leaves
- Heat a tablespoon of cooking oil in a pan.
- Add ½ teaspoon each of cumin seeds and mustard seed. Allow it to sputter.
- Add the paste of onion, garlic and ginger and stir well.
- After the paste turns golden brown, add the boiled mixture of vegetables, pulse seeds. and stir continuously.
- Cook on low flame for 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle the cumin seeds and red chilli powder over it and stir well.
Now serve it with steamed rice and lentils.