- Ladies Finger/Okra (Oriya: Bhendi) - 400 gm.
- 2 Medium sized Onions thinly cut
- 1 Large tomato cut into wedges
- 2 Green chillies
- 2-3 tsp Cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tsp Panch Phutan (Equal mix of Jeera, Mustard Seed, Saunf, Coriander Seed, Kaala Jeera)
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 2-3 tsp grated coconut (optional)
- Salt (as per taste).
Masala for paste:
- 3 tsp Mustard Seed.
- 1 tsp Cumin Seed (Oriya: Jeera)
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves (Oriya: Rasuna)
Grind the above with a little water to form a thick paste.
- Make 4 slits into the okra (Bhendi) with the stems firmly attached.
- Take a flat frying pan or Kadhai.
- Add cooking oil when its hot
- Put Panch Phutan to sputter
- Add onions and sauté the onions till light golden brown
- Add turmeric powder, chilli powder, and green chillies
- Add Bhendi & fry for 3 minutes
- Add salt and Paste Masala & fry for 2-3 mins
- Add tomato and fry for 10-15 mins more
It is now ready to be served hot.